Happy New Year! Below are some tips for semester start-up. Please make sure that if you have content posted that you have made the course visible to students (see below).
Here is the link to the recent Moodle training that we just did:
The video you want to watch is the one at the top. You will need to authenticate to Moodle to be able to watch. The second video is a video about how to use the Moodle Gradebook.
Please pass this along to anyone that is new to Moodle.
- If you want to make your course visible to your students, you can do so by going under your course's Administration block->Edit settings->General->Visible->set this to 'Show'. You will need to do this to each of your courses so that students can see them. Courses are grayed out and at the bottom of your list until you do this.
- Students that are new to EMU will have to log-in to Moodle for the first time for them to show up. Please instruct students to do this if your roster in Moodle does not match the one in myEMU.
- If you need to change the maximum upload size for files uploaded to your course, you will want to go to the same Administration block for your course->Edit settings->Files and uploads->then you can change 'Maximum upload size' to the size you need. The default setting of 5 MB may prevent students from uploading PowerPoint files. We suggest 20 MB for most courses.
- If you intend to post grades to Moodle, you will want to show the Gradebook to students when you are ready for them to see these. This is under the Administration block->Edit settings->Appearance->Show gradebook to students->set this to 'Yes'.
- If you want to import content from a previous course to a new course, here is a link to the instructions for how to do this:https://moodle.emu.edu/mod/wiki/view.php?pageid=123.
- If you want to combine two sections of your class into just one Moodle course, here is a link to the instructions for how to do this:https://moodle.emu.edu/mod/wiki/view.php?pageid=1851. Once you have merged the enrollment to the course you want to use, you do not have to use the other course at all. We would suggest keeping that course hidden to students.
- Student access to courses is suspended four weeks after the course end-date. If you need to see students in the Gradebook after this, then you can go to the Administration block->Grades->Setup->Preferences: Grader report->General->Show only active enrollments ->set this to ‘No’ if it is set to ‘Yes’. This setting will be used across all of your Moodle courses.
- If you are interested in using Panopto for videos in your course, please see these instructions: https://sites.google.com/a/emu.edu/is-helpzone/home/teaching-learning/panopto
Please as always be in touch by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions regarding using Moodle. You can also visit our Moodle FAQ’s page since we keep updating these with the latest info. That is all for now…
Best wishes as you begin the new semester!